Monday, March 06, 2017

When Will Black Women Get Seen? #GetOut Syllabus


When Will Black Women #GetSeen like for real, not gonna be #GetOut. Photo Credit: Faith

From my homie's homie I saw this, #GetOut Syllabus: Crystal Boson, PhD...well done work by Crystal Boson/americanexpat.com that speaks to why I did not go opening weekend myself, namely that the refrain of "SHOW BLACK WOMEN. PAY BLACK WOMEN. RESPECT BLACK WOMEN" was missing, both neatly and nearly entirely in the marketing of the film, Get Out.

You would think with the amount of people who say they love Beyoncé,
BLACK WOMEN WOULD BE SEEN MORE OFTEN IN FILM. 

You would think with the amount of people who say they love Viola Davis,
BLACK WOMEN WOULD DIRECT MORE FILMS.

As a person in an interracial relationship, I believe you CAN include Black women's stories, fears, rage and tears just as much as every other. 

I suspect and hope that Jordan is just getting started, but if Black men start getting paid to do excellent work that speaks to racial reality, can Black women see that dream come true more often too? 

First on my list for a 4 picture deal too:
Dee Rees
Cheryl Dunye
Ava Duvernay

Of course, I'm still gonna see it cause I love Jordan Peele like I love my own child who may grow up to be like Jordan Peele if we're so lucky. Just glad to have a syllabus to hold onto when I go tho.