Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Tranifesto takes on Ke$sha

By Matt Kailey over at TRANIFESTO
KeshaAnd neither do any of the trans guys I know. In fact, for someone who tries soooo hard to be hip, you are making yourself less cool every day.
I first wrote about Ke$ha’s questionable notion of the transgender community when I was writing for Examiner.com.
At that time, in an interview with The Advocate, Ms. Dollar Sign claimed to be a “huge fan” of the “transgender community” (you’d have to be a pretty huge fan if you liked the whole community – there are a lot of us, and we’re all different from each other).
But her idea of our community turned out to be “men with these banging bodies, dancing in heels, singing, and having so much fun with so much make-up on.” Umm … so she really wasn’t talking about any of us, except possibly drag queens who also identify as transgender.
I don’t pay much attention to Ke$ha, so I generally have no idea what’s coming out of her mouth. But thanks to Monica Roberts at TransGriot, I have now discovered that her latest foray into trans offense is her new song “Grow a Pear,” which contains the striking, nuanced, and insightful lyric “I just can’t date a dude with a vag.”