Sunday, July 31, 2005

John Roberts astro chart, Feminists and Racism = a Pro Abortion volley

Assuming he will be confirmed, transiting Pluto will be conjunct Roberts' Ceres in 2007-2008, by which time he may become the swing vote when the Supreme Court re-visits Roe v. Wade.~tarot.com

odd, Searching Under His Robes = conservo judge/clerk gosswhore but good links

ok yeah his wife is a Feminist for Life...
In 2001, she was identified as the “FFL board counsel,” and in the Summer 2002 FFL quarterly, The American Feminist, Roberts is listed as a member of the “Elizabeth Cady Stanton Circle” of fundraisers, who have raised between $1,000-$2,499 for the organization.
~http://thinkprogress.org

and from the FFL president in response to attacks:
...since those who first defined the movement, British feminist Mary Wollstonecraft, early American feminist Susan B. Anthony, founder of the Seneca Falls Convention, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and author of the Equal Rights Amendment, Alice Paul, all opposed abortion on the basis of civil rights and as an exploitation of women.

Hmmm. Interesting that they neglect to mention the Seneca Falls Convention's racism and Sojourner Truth's fight to the podium to spit her Ain't I A Woman speech 4 years later.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them. ~Sojourner Truth
Don't get me wrong the Seneca Falls Declaration was sweet, and you can tell by the language that they were trying to push for ALL equality...or maybe I'm just really good at recognizing the double speak...

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one portion of the family of man to assume among the people of the earth a position
different from that which they have hitherto occupied,
In contrast,
"Women of color were discouraged from taking part in the first women's rights convention in 1848, in Seneca Falls. Although the great Black abolitionist Frederick Douglass participated, not a single woman of color was recorded to be in attendance."

So yes Feminists For Life, go ahead and tout the early feminists for showing you the way...BUT DO NOT USE PEOPLE OF COLOR TO SELL YOUR AGENDA ON YOUR WEBSITE!

"basis of civil rights", HAH!


*rubs eyes* Aren't these the bitches who show up at UCLA with the giant posters of aborted fetii?

Got an award one day at UCLA and had to walk past them with both my parents, my dad who's just shrugging because god knows HE SO DOES NOT WANT to get into a convo about abortion with ME and my mother who was all religious (still is) and didn't want an abortion back in the day (i.e. ME)...so we of course stop at the table so my mom can sign their petition.

I'm like "no thanks" when they paw at me, the chick's like "are you for the death of little babies?" I'm like, "yes, actually".
The chick's all taken aback and then I'm like "well actually I once read this theory that a woman should be able to abort a baby up to TWO years after birth...and yeah, that seemed ok." [deadpan]

My mom starts laughing and so do I, my mom goes "Faith, you're really sick ya know?" and I turn to the lady as we leave, "It's just that some kids might have a better chance in another life, that's all..."

Of course I was getting an award for leadership so I'm not saying I wish I was aborted, but I am a firm believer that kids should be a blessing not a mistaken curse, cause THEY'RE THE ONES WHO GET TO LIVE IT OUT..not the parents. And then they in turn have kids who stand a good chance of getting mistreated...and the wonderful cycle of life goes on.

I see abortion as a women's and kid's right issue, but that really goes to my deepest belief that fetus/children do not suffer more than a momentary flash of confusion...vs. a whole lifetime of unwantedness and perhaps even worse, because I'm pretty sure that most people who don't want to have a baby, THEY REALY DON'T WANT TO BE PREGNANT, hence the abortion.

In this society a woman is often her children, there's an unspoken, spoken and even legal bond...and if a woman decides she'd rather not enter into that contract...that's a good thing.

Meet John Roberts

Seneca Falls reminds me of a falling out I once had with a few harcore feminists at a college newsmag...they were discussing an issue's cover art. They hit on the great idea of showing the progression of feminism over the centuries. Swear to god they were like, "So we'll show 2 white women in old-fashioned dress staring out of a window and back at them are 2 people of color feminists smiling" I guess they were attempting to show that the world view of feminism is better than a localised activism.

Nah, they prolly weren't.
For real they couldn't get it thru their heads that the art could be a diss to all those WOMEN of color in old fashioned clothes, the ones WHO DID AND ALWAYS HAVE EXISTED...the multiple minority who's often the loudest of all because we damn well have to be...
I wonder...wouldn't it make more sense for women with slavery heritage to be stridently pro-choice? After so many years of enslavement and loss of that choice...I wonder.

Perhaps next time I speak with a worker in the Black Christian Industrial Complex I'll float the theory. "So if the white man was still raping us, wouldn't you want abortion as an option?"

Harsh, I know, but why don't we all take a few moments to remember the MANY women who might have pondered this question over the centuries.

Nice to have a computer, the nets, and a voice ;)

For further reading,

Why Abortion is Moral by Brian Elroy McKinley, author of When Christ Was Gay