Tuesday, October 28, 2008

JHud Deaths, LGBT HATE Related?

Interesting. Jennifer Hudson's sister wrote today on her Myspace regarding the tragic turn of events:

"When I started my MySpace all of the above was true, now because I chose to do what was natural to me and love someone, it cost me my beautiful family," she writes.

"It cost me my beautiful, loving, supporting mother Darnell, my true blue baby brother Jason - I love you baby – and last but not never least, my only son Julian, my innocent baby..."

"[Julian's] soul is at ease," Julia writes. "I take comfort in knowing that Julian is with my mother and my brother and most of all the Lord, and now he's my angel, he's protecting me."


If you recall, back in the day when Dreamgirls came out, Jennifer Hudson clarified her comments regarding queerness saying:
061228_HWL_GeffenEX
I have said again and again that it was the gay community that supported me long before and long after AMERICAN IDOL, and kept me working and motivated. It is the gay community that celebrated my voice and my size and my personality long before DREAMGIRLS. Yes, I was raised Baptist. Yes, I was taught that the Bible has certain views on homosexuality. The Bible also teaches us not to judge. It teaches us to love one another as God loves us all. I love my sister, my two best friends and my director dearly. They happen to be gay." - Gawker, 12/07/06

I thought it was a great response, and I was really glad to hear that she was bringing the love. I can't imagine the pain of losing the majority of your immediate family to domestically related gun violence. I hope peace and love will settle around the Hudsons carrying them through this tough time.
chin
Rashawn Brazell
I still think it's important to point out that these murders could be LGBT HATE related. Such things happen in the LGBT community when folks come out and live as they love. It's a sad truth in the lives of the African American LGBT, where violence and homophobia often mix to disasterous results (Sakia Gunn, Rashawn Brazell). I would rather this was a sad horrible senseless random act of violence, but if it is related to LGBT HATE it needs to be news. It could help save a life.
shrine
Sakia Gunn Memorial

For resources if you're living with these troubles or in fear, please contact The Rape Abuse Incest National Network (RAINN). When I was growing up in a abuse filled household, RAINN got me help and even helped me get declared independent so I got financial aid allowing me to attend UCLA.
1-800-656-HOPE
http://www.rainn.org/

Remember to vote No on 8.