Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Pregnant Man on Oprah Thursday!

***update: EVEN AWESOMER! THIS IS AN OUT TRANS MAN WHO'S HAVING A KID! REJOICE ALL YE MERRY QUEERS, UNTO US OUR FIRST MIRACLE IS BORN***

This is fabulous news, wonderful really! I've always thought that was a big step in true gender equality, men being able to carry children successfully. I hope it goes well for them, and they have a healthy happy child!

The "pregnant man" is speaking out about his decision to have a child – saying, "I'm a person and I have the right to have my own biological child." In a special exclusive featured in this week's PEOPLE and on Thursday's episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show, Thomas Beatie talks about the baby he and wife Nancy are expecting this summer. "If Nancy could get pregnant, I wouldn't be doing this," Beatie tells PEOPLE of his wife's hysterectomy. "Who hires a surrogate if they are perfectly capable of carrying their own child?"Beatie told Oprah: "I see pregnancy as a process and it doesn't define who I am. Ironically, being pregnant doesn't make me feel any more female or feminine."


And of course, they hate has already begun. Letterman's Top 10 last night insulted this family pretty frakkin well. "David Letterman's (and his ignorant writers') reaction was to call Beatie an "androgynous freak show." (Shakesville, bi way of bgay.com)