Sunday, April 22, 2007

Natalie Portman promoting Goya's Ghost and talking intelligently as usual

natalie portman
Exploring the girl/woman/woman/girl complex this former sultry child star still struggles with.


Beautiful Girls is an extraordinarily tender film about inappropriate and safely unstated love. It's so sad that a movie like that can screw you up, I say. "Absolutely ..." she says. Silence. "Well at least you were older by then - almost legal," I say, trying to fill in the void. "I was 13 in that film, pretty far from legal! But it definitely made me shy away from that kind of role. And there's a surprising preponderance of that kind of role for young girls. Sort of being fantasy objects for men, and especially this idealised purity combined with the fertility of youth, and all this in one." Blimey, you really have thought this through haven't you. "I guess ... so I definitely shied away from it."

As she became older, did it annoy her that she had been cast in such roles? "I don't know about annoy, but it was definitely interesting to think about - why men write the female characters they do. Just like the way they write the male character. How much is wish-fulfilment fantasy, and why. Yep, interesting." - Guardian UK
Very cool that she knows what she's talking about, makes sense since she lived the lie of that fantasy.