Friday, March 17, 2006

While filming Black. White. for FX

Did I ever want to strangle Bruno from FX's Black. White?
Was a reply, decided to make it a post! (X-posted from somewhere else, can you guess where?!)

Bruno was very kind to me throughout the entire shoot. He, Carmen and Rose are still and will always be close to my heart. Coming from a multi-cultural background (both my parents married white after having me) I already seen white folk embarrass themselves a bit, but I saw much of Bruno's comments to be based in a desire to KNOW and really try and understand.

For many who come from an immigrant background, the African American struggle against racism seems less than real. Overt racism doesn't exist as much we can all agree...but for the most part the separate but equal segregation (at times self-segregation) that has sprung into our midst = the new racism. I highly suggest a great book, How the Irish Became White, for in depth analysis of what the American Melting Pot really means.

So, no I never wanted to strangle Bruno. Even when he said comments I didn't agree with, like recently I heard him remark that reverse racism might be the same as regular old run of the mill "majority rules" racism. I disagree. BUT, that he asks the question makes my heart soar, because here is the answer to the question folks! Asking!

Opening a discourse!
Having arguments!
Finding a way to see how we are the same EVEN AS we embrace our differences.
This is possible...and hopefully you and I / all of us can lead the way.

Here’s a lil poem then,

I HAPPILY CROSS THE LINE AGAIN AND AGAIN
A year later the nine public pools in Baton Rouge closed after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that segregation of park facilities was unconstitutional.

"It was all so long ago.
I never oppressed anyone.
My parents never oppressed anyone.
We didn't own slaves..."

It's not about that, I reiterate.

Remember the swimming pools that your parents may have frolicked in?
A nice dinner out,
trips to museums,
to church,
to the ballpark,
to the zoo?

There too if allowed,
African Americans were in the back,
came during "colored hours",
waited in the "colored line",
sat in "the colored section",
and lived lives entirely at another's discretion

Where no lines could be drawn?
Swimming pools and schools.
Places of unsure action
where friends and comrades might be made

Remember to celebrate MLK Day
and enlightenment itself
difference and betterment
for, by and to
both white and black
We celebrate for that